Thursday, June 11, 2009

U-Blog 4

The last few class meetings have been very enlightening and an eye opener. I knew there were open-source software and web applications that are great tools for learning, training, businesses, schools and etc. But I didn't realize there were so many that could benefit individuals on a personal level. After these last few classes I don't want to pay for anything anymore. I believe that every application and piece of software that costs money has a free version of the same thing, just not a big brand name. I know when I go to the store I buy the off brand version or walmart version of products.

Even hardware like calculators can be found on the web but your calculus teacher tells you to buy a 100 dollar T98 or whatever when its free online. There is project management software, finance management software, web design programs, everything and anything you name it! The only thing that disturbs me is the fact that colleges and universities make students kick out all that money when the products we are purchasing, we can get on the web for FREE! And I learned that at school! So I know the Schools and Universities are aware of the free tools and resources. Everything a student needs to succeed is right there on the web for free and its not cool we have to come out the pocket to find that out. The only thing required for school should be a computer!!

1 comment:

  1. Exactly and I wish they gave us that also. With all of this tuition we are paying and technology fees, a computer should be included somewhere in there. But with the use of this open source software, we can ease the hurt on our pockets a little more. There is no sense in buying a $500-$1000 or more program when you can get a replica that does the exact same thing for FREE. That is a lovely word when it comes to software.

    ReplyDelete